And they say OpenBase is good?

Frank Bitterlich bitterlich at gsco.de
Mon Feb 10 20:51:44 CST 2003

LOL... Ruslan, I can see your point.

I had to make the choice for our business DB backend recently, and
OpenBase was one of the two products I was testing. I got similar
results to yours, but I'm not sure if that really counts, since I didn't
look to deep into the possibilities on how to optimize it.

In the end I chose the other product (Frontbase), but mostly because it
adheres very stict to the SQL92 standard. But the performance results I
got were almost the same: Not even the same league as Valentina.

There are two things I wrote that off to: First, it is a server DBMS,
and I expect it to have a more linear performance (read: not getting
slower) with multiple, concurrent accesses. I have no way to know how
Valentina Server will behave inthis respect,, but as it was originally
developer as as single user DB, I think you might run into problems in
this respect. But I'm open for surprises :)

The second factor is the cache and index optimisations. In my 500 000
record test database, I got speed differences between 20 seconds and 0.1
seconds for the same query, depending on cache situation and -settings.
I'm confident that when I go into production with this database, I will
be able to tune it (with the help of the Frontbase guys, whose support
is almost as good as yours :) to much greater speed.

But still Valentina continues to amaze me. Today I had a corrupted ValDB
(well, not really corrupted, but garbage data inside) and had to do an
XML dump/edit/load to fix it. When I did the dump of the 40 000 records,
I was waiting, and waiting, and waiting for the export to begin, not
realizing that it all was already done in a fraction of a second. :) I
think even BBEdit took longer to save the text file after I had edited it...

Maybe you want to contact the Openbase guys and ask them if you could
tune your test DB some way...

Cheers,
   Frank+++

--
Günter Schmidt & Co. oHG
Frank Bitterlich             eMail: bitterlich at gsco.de
Schlosserstr. 4              WWW:   http://www.gsco.de/gsco
D-60322 Frankfurt            Tel.:  069 / 156809-29
GERMANY                      Fax:   069 / 156809-28