[V4RB] Writing a simple server

jda jda at his.com
Mon Feb 10 10:42:18 CST 2003

>Would it not be a better idea to concentrate on dealing with the data and
>leave the actual serving to something else, i.e. Apache? It's pretty easy to
>write this kind of thing in PHP or similar, and these days you can use
>Valentina there too (he says, not having got it actually working yet!)...
>
>Marcus

That's what I had thought, too, but once having played with sockets I
think it would be easier to do it in RB. Also, I want to graft this
onto an existing application (have a setting that just turns on the
server function) and want to avoid complicated set up, etc. It's a
consumer product (and runs on 9 as well as X) so I want to avoid as
much complication as possible.

As I see it, my "server" would just listen for and respond to
requests for data (not serve files or anything like that). But this
is the sort of things I'm asking about -- are there serious pitfalls
that I'm not anticipating?

Jon