[V4RB] Writing a simple server

jda jda at his.com
Mon Feb 10 10:17:52 CST 2003

Hi all.

I'm thinking of creating a simple server using RB and V4RB to serve
bibliographic data over the web. I've been playing with sockets and
HTTP, and I think it will be rather easy to implement. Basically,
I'll set up a "listener" and, when it receives a query, fetch the
data, organize it, and send it back to the browser. FWIW, I'll
probably wait for RB 5 to actually release this because the new
ServerSocket class is a lot more robust than the Socket control
offered in earlier versions.

I'm wondering if anyone else on this list has done something like
this, and if so what their experience was. What are the problems that
I should be anticipating (like multithreading -- I'm happy to have
queries queued, because I don't intend this to be an
industrial-strength solution, but even so might there be problems
with concurrent hits)? Is there a limit on the amount of data one can
return?

Thanks,

Jon