And they say OpenBase is good?

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Mon Feb 10 00:44:01 CST 2003

Hi Guys,
Hi Totte, Norman.

Today we with Yuri have at last of end download and install OpenBase to play
with it...

For tests I have made in V4RB Example1 db with million records.
Then from VAPP I have export this db  (65MB) into text file.
We have create analog db and table in OpenBase and import file.

Totte, you was right, if Valentina import/export such file In about 30
seconds on my DUAL 867, then OpenBase do this about hour. I have told you
that this can be because they do this in transaction mode, but in Import
dialog it was OFF.

Okay, after we have drink 10 cups of coffee, we have got table for test.

By the way, I am in deep shock on size of this db in OpenBase -- 380MB(!!!)

---
I was stupid enough to make simplest
    SELECT * FROM Person

This must select million records.
Guys, we again have wait an hour to see result:
    find 18 seconds     (print 3600 seconds)

Valentina do this query
    in 0.01 second.

-----
I have try to do non-indexed search on ushort field.
SEARCH was from 18 seconds to 30 seconds.
The same search in Valentina 0.1-0.2 second.

-----
Okay, we have now have add index to ushort_fld (this was fast enough).

Now the same search on ushort_fld > 32600 that find 2500 records
take 0.3 - 0.9 seconds.

Search that find 40000 records take more time (as usual for any RDBMS).

-----
I was going to see speed of sort of all million of records, but I do not
want spend another hour of my life...

---
Question: may be exists some way, to NOT "print records" in OpenBase???
And in any case I so wonder what it do so many time ???

----
Somebody have told me that OpenBase have great GUI.
I cannot say this. IT looks of course better of VAPP's GUI, because it is OS
X native, but in general .... Not great. Normal RDBMS way.

Although 2 ideas I like.
Jochen, I think you can repeat them in Valentina Studio.
1) I like idea of Import Dialog,, when we see table from imported file, and
we can drag fields on headers of columns to build map.
2) I like idea of Relation dialog with TABs.

    By the way. OpenBase do not have Cascade deletion ?
    Releation Dialog do not have such option.

------
Another point. OpenBase creates on default (and you cannot change this as I
see) 3 fields in total 20 bytes PER RECORD (!!!)
    id (8 bytes)
    timestamp (8 bytes)
    version (4 bytes)

------
RESUME:

After some guys have told me very good words about Openbase,
I have worry if to be frankly. :-)

Now I am cool again. OpenBase is regular RDBMS with predicted results.
I see that Valentina is much faster even on this simple tests.
I have not meet things that have impress me.

And as I describe this on benchmark pages,
The more complex query, the more loose regular RDBMS to Valentina.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com