SetBlank

Robert Brenstein rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Fri Feb 7 13:28:05 CST 2003

>  >
>>  There is also ambiguity related to the last sentence -- another
>>  mental shortcut of yours me thinks. As far as I know, a new record is
>>  automatically set to Blank values, so using this function is not
>>  needed at all (and certainly not just before adding). I believe you
>>  refer to using this function when creating a new record from current
>>  one (as opposed to new SQL with recid=0). I think that you could
>>  simply remove this sentence.
>
>I don't think so Robert. The last sentence of ruslan must be ->You can use
>this function before adding a new empty record to the database <-
>If you make a new cursor (except an empty one) the current record is set to
>1 and the buffer contains the data of record 1.  Now if you make a new
>record a new record with the data of record 1 is added to the db. It's a
>nice feature to duplicate records.
>If you want to create a new rec with different data you have to set all
>fields in buffer before with new values.
>
>Best,
>Kurt

Yes, you are right, Kurt. However, I don't think that anyone who does
not know all this already will get it from that one sentence. My
point was that it is too much of a shortcut as it is now. Look how
much text it took you to describe it (and you did it clearly and
concisely!).

Ruslan should either describe it in the same detail as you did or
remove that sentence from SetBlank definition. But IMHO, the full
description does not belong here but in the Kernel doc in the section
on creating new records. Unfortunately, I don't have the kernel doc
handy at the moment to check it out. If it is not there, Ruslan,
could include your description.

Robert