SetBlank

Robert Brenstein rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Fri Feb 7 12:06:07 CST 2003

>on 2/7/03 3:27 AM, Robert Brenstein at rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de wrote:
>
>>  The documentation says:
>>
>>   Cursor_SetBlank( CursorRef )
>>
>  >  Clears the memory buffer of the Cursor, i.e. set values
>>   of all fields to NULL. You can use this function before
>>   adding a new record to the database.
>>
>>  The wording implies that the entire cursor (all records) are set
>>  blank, but I somehow think that this happens only for the current
>>  record. Can you get me straight, Ruslan (or anyone else who knows for
>>  sure)?
>
>Why all records, Robert?
>It say ALL FIELDS, but not ALL RECORDS.

Clears the memory buffer of *the Cursor* -- the entire cursor !?

>Okay, more correctly will be
>
>    Clears the memory buffer of the Cursor, i.e. set values
>    of all fields of current record to NULL. You can use this
>    function before adding a new record to the database.

Thanks for clarification. Yes, this make a difference. You should
really make this change in docs. What is in docs is a mental shortcut
-- its meaning is obvious to you and people-in-know but ambiguous to
others.

There is also ambiguity related to the last sentence -- another
mental shortcut of yours me thinks. As far as I know, a new record is
automatically set to Blank values, so using this function is not
needed at all (and certainly not just before adding). I believe you
refer to using this function when creating a new record from current
one (as opposed to new SQL with recid=0). I think that you could
simply remove this sentence.

Robert