data loss vs flush (was: TIP, how to fight with corrupted indexing)

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Tue Feb 4 17:06:03 CST 2003

on 2/4/03 2:15 PM, Robert Brenstein at rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de wrote:

>>>  Ruslan, I Flush after each database change but I definitely had data
>>>  loss on a few ocassions (yes, data was entered into db but was not
>>>  there after crash). I recon that Flush cleans the caches of Valentina
>>>  but the operating system has its own write cache that may prevent the
>>>  data to be actually written to disk before the crash.
>>
>> No, Flush() at first write from Valentina cache,
>> Then calls system flush() to force data be written on disk.
>>

> Hmm, if so, then how is it possible that I lost data? I do not
> imagine that. My program writes a log of all transactions, so I could
> verify that user indeed did data entry and it was processed properly
> but the data was NOT in the database after the server restart. Last
> several transactions before each crash seem to be always lost.

Really strange.

1) you use MacOS 9, yes?

2) may be not all modifications are followed by Flush?

3) Try add AFTER Flush() call also log into YOUR file, that Flush() was
done. This can help to see that crash was not inside of Flush()

And if your log file really will show that flush was made,
But data are lost, then really is some problem in my Flush().

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com