TIP, how to fight with corrupted indexing

Robert Brenstein rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Tue Feb 4 11:23:15 CST 2003

>But how index can affect BLOB data?
>I see only one way why it crashes. Record was deleted before crash. Yes?
>
>Totte, may be you need add more Flushes after Updates()?
>
>  > PS, I have the database for you if you like.

Ruslan, I Flush after each database change but I definitely had data
loss on a few ocassions (yes, data was entered into db but was not
there after crash). I recon that Flush cleans the caches of Valentina
but the operating system has its own write cache that may prevent the
data to be actually written to disk before the crash. I have reduced
the system cache by an order of magnitude but (fortunately) I had no
crashes lately to test the effect. But I wonder whether this might be
a factor in at least some cases of problems with index files. There
is clearly a need for a mechanism that ensures that indexes are in
sync with data.

Robert