A Couple of Questions

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Mon Dec 22 19:31:25 CST 2003

on 12/22/03 6:27 PM, Ken Ray at kray at sonsothunder.com wrote:

>> But you have not answer, Ken.
>> You use client-side cursors?
>
> For SQLSelect() I'm using server-side cursors. The problem comes when I use
> SQLSelectRecords(), which AFAIK doesn't have the ability to set server-side
> or client-side, right?

Right, it uses client side cursor, because it need only read.

And I was sure that SQLSelectRecords() will never be used on big selections.

> Basically I need to display a list view of all the
> records in a table; is there a better way to do this than use
> SQLSelectRecords() ?

But why SQLSelectRecords() ?!
Why you cannot create Server side cursor and display its records?

What you will do if table has 100,000 records?

Client side cursor will wait a lots of time until it load this to RAM,
May be you will get out of ram...
This is bad idea Ken!

You need create SERVER side cursor.

Then you will need show 20-25 records on monitor.
Okay, you will ask server this 20 records and will show them.
So by network will go only 25 records. Not 100,000.
You get fast reaction of system.

When user scroll down, you again load few needed records. You see?

------
We also have now Bulk-cursor.
This is the same SERVER-side, but it load to client 50 records in one step
and keep them in internal buffer. If you will goto 51 record, it will load
next 50 records. This cursor is good for browsing of big tables.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com