Database schema change - new application version behavior

Srinivas Yalamarti syalamar at fiberlink.com
Thu Dec 11 17:19:00 CST 2003

Hi,

I have a database dbFirstLast.vdb and other files
that I created using the following schema

     class CCustomer :  public VDK_BaseObject
     {
           public:
                 VDK_VarChar       m_strFirstName;
                 VDK_VarChar       m_strLastName;

       public:

            CCustomer(void):VDK_BaseObject("CUSTOMER"),
            m_strFirstName("FirstName"),
            m_strLastName("LastName"),
            {
            }

            virtual ~CCustomer(void) {};
     };

     class CClientDB : public VDK_DataBase
     {
      public
            // Statically define the tables in the database:
            CCustomer                     mCust;
     };

And we changed the CCustomer base object to have another
field, 'customer address'.  And then compiled/linked our code
with the newer schema.

When I run the new version of our application, and we try to
OPEN the old database, will I have any problems?

If there is going to be a problem, is there anyway I can open
an existing database without again specifying the schema
and go thru' the base object - dynamically?

Thank you for your help in advance.

Regards,
SY

computer.