Inconsistent database behaviour using RealBasic and Valentinaon WinXP, MacOS, MacOSX

Richard Bundock rbundock at bluementor.com
Thu Dec 11 16:31:35 CST 2003

Cindy, Ruslan

Ive tried deleting the ind file and letting Valentina rebuild it - this
didnt work.

Below is a breakdown of my database (-> denotes pointers):

  Company            [70,111 records]
  Film               [356,350 records]
  FilmName           [519,955 records]
    -> Film
  Join_Company       [338,896 records]
    -> Company
    -> Film
  Join_Person        [2,052,408 records]
    -> Film
    -> Person
  JoinLit            [41,450 records]
    -> LitSource
    -> Person
  JoinName_Company   [523,719 records]
    -> Company
    -> FilmName
  JoinName_Person    [4,527,493 records]
    -> FilmName
    -> PersonName
  LitSource          [37,125 records]
    -> Film
  Origin             [371,827 records]
    -> Film
  Person             [439,897 records]
  PersonName         [464,337 records]
    -> Person
  Reference          [303,191 records]
    -> Film

It seems that some tables are fine, however others when queried even with
something simple like

  SELECT COUNT(*) FROM Person

Cause the database to fail on the Mac OS9 build only. One guess is that
something is wrong with the pointers between my Person table and the Join
tables - although what that might be is proving elusive. Another guess is
that I may have reached some kind of limit somewhere in terms of size. The
database works fine on Mac OS9 if I only use a small subset of the data (eg.
10,000 records max in each table).

Any help is really appreciated.

Rich