[OFF] UML Tools for Mac /win

Olaf Schmidtmann os at brainbits.net
Thu Dec 11 11:44:48 CST 2003

Hi Ruslan,

> Concept Draw develop guys from Odessa Ukraine, btw.

yes, I will have a look at this.

> CDr is similar to OmniGraffle in many places.
> OmniGraffle has more polished nice GUI,
> But CDr also can do main work.
> CDr seems to have much more pallets
> And work on AMC + WIN.

Thank you. There are so much products. I have found two lists with
comparisons and prices that may be of general interest:
http://www.jeckle.de/umltools.htm
http://www.objectsbydesign.com/tools/umltools_byCompany.html
Maybe somebody has personal experience with som eof these?

> Exists other BIG TOOL -- "Together"
> It is from the same class of Rose.
>
> Borland have bug Together
> IBM have buy Rosa.
>
> But its price is also very high.

Yes, this is far, far beyond what I want to invest! This products start with
at least 1.000$ per seat. I do not expect them to be so much better than the
others for my/our special deeds. I am looking for a price between 0 to ~300
$.

> As for me, both this tools are VERY complex.
> It looks to me it needs spend about 6 months just to become
> used with them.
> May be I am wrong...

I do not think you are wrong. UML itself is a wide field and these tool are
really large orbital stations. What I am looking for is a bus :-) namely a
solution:
- to get classes organized (and re-organized)
- to make the structure transparent for everybody working in the team
- to help me visualize in the layout phase
- to exchange ideas this other developers
- to create stub code (e.g. Java)

> I have drop idea to use UML tools on per day basic.

I think I know what you mean. But I recognized the advantages of modeling in
a team. Very often even mid-ranged projects are hard to understand for the
team members and there is the danger of being too much focused) and their
handling gets difficult (months) after they have been developed.
So I like giving it a try. I think it helps with using patterns, too.

Cheers
Olaf