Creating temporary table

jda jda at his.com
Tue Dec 9 16:18:00 CST 2003

>On Tuesday, December 9, 2003, at 03:55  PM, jda wrote:
>
>>I have what I hope is a question with a simple solution. I'd like
>>to generate a cursor and display the results in a list (V4RB). Then
>>I want to let users do an iTunes-like subsearch of the cursor. I
>>think the way to do this is to create a temporary table from the
>>contents of the cursor, and do subsearches on that (at least until
>>Valentina 2.0, where searching within cursors will be allowed I
>>think). I've looked in the examples but didn't see this. What would
>>be the steps I'd need to do to populate a temporary table from the
>>cursor?
>>

>Here's what I would do.  Create a new database in the TemporaryItems
>folder; you'll only need to do this once per runtime.  Then add a
>new table to it, using the cursor fields to define the fields of the
>new table. Then dump the cursor into the new table, and search away.
>
>Charles Yeomans

Do I need to create a file, or can this be done with a

tempDB = new myDatabase

and then populate tempDB.myTable? And although the details of the db
organization won't change during a session, of course the data in the
temp file may change many times (each time the author does a real,
not a sub-, search).

Thanks,

Jon