[V4MD] / [ALL] DISTINCT bug?

Martin Kloss martin.kloss at gmx.de
Sun Dec 7 16:57:29 CST 2003

Hi Ruslan,

I think there is a problem with selecting DISTINCT records with joined tables.

I have 3 tables: "chapters, sub_chapters, data" and I'm trying to get the
distinct
names of sub chapters. All records are stored in the "data" table and they
have PTR's to the chapter and sub chapter tables (chapter_ptr,
sub_chapter_ptr).
So here's the query to get a list of sub chapters for all records in a chapter:

SELECT DISTINCT sub_chapter_name FROM chapter, sub_chapter, data
WHERE chapter_name = 'First Chapter' ORDER BY sub_chapter.RecID ASC

The problem is that I get a list with all sub chapter names for each record,
but the list is not unique so the DISTINCT option did not really work.
It's the same in VAPP and VStudio, so it's not a V4MD bug.
Or am I missing something here?

Martin.

Martin Kloss

Like the author? Buy the book: