hostname

Michael Krugman admin at ktinet.net
Fri Dec 5 11:19:09 CST 2003

Hi List:

I am working on a migration project, using OS X 10.3.2, RB5.22, V4RB
Client and Valentina Server.  I have a question concerning HOSTNAME.  I
am able to get this to work correctly on my local machine as well as
over the network.  When connecting to my network, I use the static IP
address of the machine, for example:  hostname = "192.168.10.199" and
can connect with no problem.  A good deal of my clients do not have
static IP addresses.  In a lot of these cases, IP addressing is handled
dynamically, either from their Internet Provider or a router which
assigns dynamic addresses.  How is hostname handled in this case?  Must
every computer have a static IP address for this to work?

Mike