server.msi

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Thu Dec 4 23:08:49 CST 2003

on 12/4/03 10:50 AM, Igor Gomon at giv at tlc.ks.ua wrote:

Hi Deane,
Hi Igor,

>>> What you mean? You double-clicked VServer_9X.exe each time
>>> the user runs the software? Why? Is the standard (background service)
>>> way doesn't suit you?

>> It doesn't bother me if this is what is needed, but I would like that it
>> doesn't take up any resources for customers when they are not using it. I
>> have my code execute the server (on windows XP) using Server.exe -s to

>> start the server. And I shut down the server in RB using VServer.shutdown
>> . I was just wondering if there was a way to start and stop the VServer_9X
>> using shell execution?

> Currently not.
> But this is a little bit intresting way to work with server IMHO.

Any and each way have right to live :-)

I can add that we was going add for Windows VServer small utility that is in
the toolbar on right side. So user can run/stop from there.
Of course this will be available for Embedded Server distribution.

> You can use another ways to decrease amount of system resources consumed
> by the server. There are two main resources: processor time and system
> memory. Both you can change with VServer class API:
> THREADS variable to get/set count of runnign threads withing VServer;
> CACHESIZE variable to get/set size of cache;

> (both of these vars change its values only after calling Restart());

> In minimal configuration (1/1) server on my XP machine consumes about 5 MB
> of memory with 3 running threads and it practically does not consume any
> processor time since all the threads are blocked by default. And this way is
> portable also (i.e. it works on XP/9x).
> (Although 5MB memory usage may be to large for you anyway...)

Yes, Deane,

On idle, Service do not eat CPU time at all.
So only RAM is eaten a little.

Have I correctly understand that you have
    a) client side app made in RB
    b) some RB made app that control Valentina server?
        this is good. We have talk, that Developers
        will be able make around Vserver own apps with GUI that allow
        their users control params of server.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com