[V4RB] Serving a db over the web

jda jda at his.com
Thu Dec 4 14:30:11 CST 2003

I've been working on sharing databases over the web via a
ServerSocket in RB. It works very well, but I'm concerned about what
happens when there are user "collisions", especially with the new
record locks. This is not Server, but the usual embedded Valentina.

1. I have arranged it so that only databases not in use locally can
be accessed via the internet, which prevents access during database
writes.

2. You cannot write to the database via the internet.

3. My cursor record permissions are all set to kReadOnly. As of now,
records in such a cursor cannot be accessed by anyone else (even
though they are unmodifiable). This would cause problems if there was
a collision between users trying to access the records. Will that
change in 2.0, Ruslan? Why can't we access a kReadOnly record just to
read it?

4. Instead of record locks, should I change every cursor to kNoLocks?
If so, are there any downsides (remembering that the databases cannot
be shared under any circumstances)?

5. Finally, if I use kNoLocks, do I need to set kRandomAccess (as
opposed to kForwardOnly), or now does it default to the old way
(which was kRandomAccess).

Thanks!

Jon