Embedded server security question

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Wed Dec 3 16:10:22 CST 2003

on 12/3/03 3:58 PM, Florian Bogeschdorfer at fb at memedia.de wrote:

> In my debugging steps, I have frequently connected via Valentina Studio
> directly to my DB and also I sent Ruslan my DB a few times.
>
> Now I wonder since users are kept in master.vdb, what if someone takes my
> me_inside.vdb and moves it to his own embedded server, restarts the
> service... Can he read it? Wouldn't he need the password again or the
> embedded license?

Yes Florian,

He will be able to read it.

Yes, user/password -- is SERVER feature.

Once I have see them as database files feature also.
But password on file is weak protection if file have really secure data.
Because user can open them by hexedit.

Florian, question of security depend on your tasks and must be considered in
complex: hardware, network, files,

So if you need protection of files, you can encrypt them.
This is really strong way. Nobody will be able read your info.
But note, encryption can bring small problems into life.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com