[RB] Newbie warning !! A few questions

Jan ErikMoström lists at mostrom.pp.se
Mon Aug 25 12:13:11 CDT 2003

Hi

Once every 6 months or so I start learning using Valentina and every
time something happens so I have to wait another 6 months 8-) Well, it's
time again and I need to clarify a few things. I'm making a simple
database with 6 related tables in order to learn Valentina for future
use.

If I create a database and add a baseobject (class 'P') that represents
people then this represents the whole table, right?

If I want to treat a person as an object (and have several such objects
available at the same time ... no, not a listing but for editing) then I
need to create another class 'RealPerson'. When I need an instance of
'RealPerson' I should request if from 'P' (who either creates a new
record or return an existing depending on the situtation), right?

If I need to save the changes to a 'RealPerson' object, then I should
call 'P' with this object as a parameter, right? ('P' looks up which
record needs updateing and updates it)

To do this, I need some way to uniqely identify the person in the 'P'
table using some data in the 'RealPerson' object. Should I assign a
unique identifier myself or is this one use for the VObjectPtr/RecID?

Or am I completely wrong on everything?

                            jem
--
Jan Erik Moström   jem at mostrom.pp.se    www.mostrom.pp.se