VXCMD_Client, how to create db.

Ron rbarber at yhb.att.ne.jp
Sat Aug 23 22:57:28 CDT 2003

Hi Ruslan

> I am working now on VXCMD Client for Vserver.
> Practically all is done.
>

> Database_New was need only if you want encrypted db.
> Now we need more parameters for VXCMD Client, so I see this as
>
> FOR CLIENT:
>
> dbRef = Database_New( [inHost], [inUserName], [inUserPassword], [Port] )
> dbRef = Database_Create( dbPath, Mode, SegmentSize, dbRef )
> dbRef = Database_Open( dbPath, dbRef )
>

> 1) for VXCMD_CLEINT you always MUST create at first dbRef specifying
> connection parameters.
>
> 2) Open() will MUST get this dbRef.
> (in VXCMD Standalone, dbRef is optional)

I'm  not sure I understand this. Do you mean in the _current_ vxcmd? or
future non-client/server versions?

> 3) as you see we need add dbRef to Create(), as result parameters Mode,
> SegmentSize will not be optional.

I suppose these extra parameters are not much of a problem to add to new
apps but retrofitting them to current apps will require some work for us, if
I understand you correctly. Similar to the recent addition of kServer and
kNoLock.

> As idea, I can see other function
>
> Database_RemoteCreate( dbRef, dbPath, [Mode], [SegmentSize] )
>
> Although I prefer not add new functions...

Why are you against new functions? Because they are inconsistent with other
Val products or they are harder to maintain or ...?

> More: Please inform me who need VXCMD Client in nearest time,
> and what platform you will use, e.g
> MetaCard Carbon ...
> MetaCard Macho ...

I don't foresee a need for this kind of feature in my own apps but I'm glad
that Val is moving ahead with this vital area. It will mean more success for
Val and therefore also those that use it.

Thanks for your work,

Ron (who will, however use the utf-16 feature ;)