Valentina Digest, Vol 8, Issue 32

gary hayenga vandg at speakeasy.org
Tue Aug 19 09:35:42 CDT 2003

> on 8/18/03 23:35, gary hayenga at vandg at speakeasy.org wrote:
>
>> Is there any hope that we will be able to simply use the REAL DB API
>> access databases via Valentina server?
>>
>> Otherwise it seems way too much work (it's a *big* system) to switch
>> from our current databases (Frontbase and Openbase) to Valentina
>> server, no matter how much better it is.
>>
>> I mean, just the sheer number of times I have said
>>
>> 'while not dbc.eof
>>   //do stuff
>>    dbc.moveNext()
>> wend
>>
>> is in the thousands, etc.
>
> Hi Garry,
>
> Yes, we have such target.
>
> But it was many times pointed that such "generalization" only look to
> be
> simple for port. May be only for simple cases.
>
> If you start use advanced features of one db, you become linked to it.
>

> --
> Best regards,

Unless, of course, your product is designed to be database independent
and use Frontbase, Openbase, Oracle or (dare I say it) Valentina
Server, as ours is.  But having to use a completely different API for
Valentina means that we would have to ... Well, it's a *big* product.
But for databases that use the REAL DB API then blob handling is really
the only place we need to handle it differently based on the database.

We use SQL92 for everything else.  Although we do need subqueries and
foreign key referential integrity.

I realize this is academic for the moment, but once Valentina Server is
ready is would be great if it were an option for us.

gary hayenga