How to Update a record and not get orphan segments?

Robert Brenstein rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Fri Aug 15 11:53:22 CDT 2003

>le 15-08-03 10:05, Robert Brenstein <rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de> a écrit :
>

>>>  "Indexed" controls whether or not the field is to be indexed.
>>>  "Index by words" controls *how* the field is to be indexed *if* it
>>>  is indexed.  Setting "index by words," in my experience, has never
>>>  caused the field to become indexed.
>>>

>>  If what you are saying is true, Erik, then setting "index by words"
>>  should have no effect unless "index" is also set. I won't bet my
>>  head, but I think that used to be like that. May be the behavior was
>>  changed lately. We'll know for sure next week :)
>
>The V4RBReference.pdf says page 52 :
>"If a VText field is indexed, then it is always indexed by words; so there
>is no property 'IndexByWords'."
>
>So I understand that setting the kV_IndexedByWord flag doesn't do anything
>since there is no such property.
>
>But I doesn't understand why you can have orphan segment doing that. Yes we
>have to wait the master's return.

Yes, indeed there is something fishy. In vxcmd reference it states:

   You can work with the following flags:
   Indexed 1
   Unique 2
   Nullable 4
   IndexByWords 8 (for String, VarChar and Text fields only)
   IsMethod 16
   Compressed 32 (for BLOBs only)

and the Kernel Reference does not mention anything peculiar about
index by words for text fields either. May be there is something
special with V4RB?

Robert