How to Update a record and not get orphan segments?

Erik Mueller-Harder lists at praxisworks.com
Thu Aug 14 12:08:07 CDT 2003

Trevor DeVore wrote:

>> Actually, Valentina should automatically set the indexed flag
>> when you ask to have indexed by words. May be there is a glitch
>> for Text fields.
>
> It doesn't seem to do that when I create the field in the
> Valentina Application.  I have to manually check the Indexed
> checkbox after checking the Indexed by words checkbox.

"Indexed" controls whether or not the field is to be indexed.  "Index by words" controls *how* the field is to be indexed *if* it is indexed.  Setting "index by words," in my experience, has never caused the field to become indexed.

OTOH, setting "Indexed" to true for String & VarChar fields > 255 bytes automatically sets "Index by Words" to True (though you can override this).  Not sure whether this is also the case for String fields.

HTH,

Erik