[doc] Maximum size for VarChar

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Fri Aug 8 17:01:10 CDT 2003

on 8/8/03 16:57, Erik Mueller-Harder at lists at praxisworks.com wrote:

> Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:
>
>>> I have a field that nearly always will have about 150 bytes in
>>> it, but sometimes may have as much as 64K; I'm assuming a large
>>> VarChar field is the best way to store it?
>>
>> I also think so, Just important to see that atomic page now will
>> 128KB in RAM.
>
> Hmm.  When exactly does that page exist in RAM -- for how long, I mean?  If I
> have 100,000 records in a base object and search on that VarChar field
> (indexed by words), I'm not trying then to use 12.8GB of RAM, am I?  :-O  I
> would guess not....

:) no of course.

This page is inside of Valentina cache.
Potential problem which can be here
-- you read one record from one page
        so 128KB is read from disk
-- you read second record from second page
        another 128KB reads.

IF cache is full you will eat it by 128KB.
This is worse scenario. Do not worry about this.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com