How string are stored

Francois Van Lerberghe fvanlerberghe at freegates.be
Fri Aug 8 09:56:41 CDT 2003

le 8-08-03 7:51, Ruslan Zasukhin <sunshine at public.kherson.ua> a écrit :

>>> In fact each data file has flag in the first byte.
>>
>> Can I store data in MacOS, copy the .dat file in Windows, open it (using the
>> Windows .vdb file) and continue to store data in this platform, copy again
>> the .dat file on MacOS, open it (with he MacOS.vdb file) and read all these
>> data on MacOS ? Is it allowed ?
>> Are you able to interpret correctly the data ?
>
> Yes this can works.

I don't understand how this can work.
Has each record a flag saying this record was encoded in Windows or MacOS
format ?
Or do you convert all records in one unique format, that is not platform
dependant ?
You have said that strings are stored in the platform specific format. Thus
when I'm on Windows and add my first record, it is stored in Windows format.
Next I go to the Mac and add a second record, stored in Mac format. Next I
go to Windows and read both record. How can you know that the first is in
Windows format and the second is in Mac format ?
Or do you mean that if the .dat file is created in Windows, it is "marked"
as a Windows format file and all records are stored in Windows format, when
I add records in Mac or Windows ?

François Van Lerberghe
Thier Monty, 15A
B-4570 Marchin