UTF support sheduled to 2.0

Lynn Fredricks fci at europa.com
Mon Aug 4 13:53:23 CDT 2003

> >Too many companies try to do too much at once, then find
> themselves in
> >a financial crisis and ship half-finished, bug ridden products. We
> >don't want that to happen, so this is one strategic measure.
> >

> It's hard to know even what to say to this. First, any work done with
> Unicode in 1.x is likely be transferrable to 2.0, probably with
> little extra effort (correct me if I'm wrong, Ruslan). Second, we've
> been told (for *well* over a year) that Unicode was coming, and
> specifically that it was coming in 1.9.9. Now out of the blue we're
> told it's not. Besides the obvious delay, there is another problem.
> Valentina 2 beta is to be released in September. It may or may not be
> unicode-savvy at that time (my bet is it won't be). And it will be as
> buggy as hell. It will certainly take months to move through testing,

You'll have to wait and see then.

> and when released more bugs will be found (it took about a year from
> the time I released my Valentina-based app before Ruslan made the bug
> fixes that made it  stable, and even now, although much improved,
> instablility in Valentina is the #1 things my users complain about).
> It could easily be 6 months (or more) before 2.0 is ready to deploy.

So it would be better to wait nine months or twelve months before 2.0 is
ready?

> RS's database sucks. But it is being redone for 5.5. And Joe has
> intimated (not promised) that it will be unicode-savvy, which makes a
> great deal of sense now that RB uses UTF-8 everywhere. That alone
> will be cause to give it a good look. I love Valentina, and I love
> Ruslan's attitude and work ethic (easily the best developer I've
> worked with), but inability to deal with Unicode is a killer for me.
> I hope I'm wrong, but...

Valentina 2 will ship before REALbasic 5.5, and there will also be
standalone and custom server options for creating client-server
solutions. RB 5.5's database engine should be greatly improved over the
current engine, and it will be Unicode savvy. Don't set your
expectations for RBDB that it will be able to come close to Valentina's
speed or robustness in handling huge databases -- that would be
unrealistic.

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
President