How string are stored

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sat Aug 2 14:14:57 CDT 2003

on 8/2/03 11:46, Vincent Mercey at vmercey at free.fr wrote:

Hi Vincent,

> My goal is to have a crossplateform database (Mac 9, Mac X and Windows)
>
> I have noticed that, when storing a string with characters > 127 on
> MacOS, I retrieve it without any problem on Windows and vice-versa.
> So, I guess that data is stored in only one encoding and that there is a
> conversion (I think that the encoding is Mac and that the conversion is
> done on Windows)

No, strings are stored in the platform specific format.

When Valentina is run on windows and it see that db files from MAC, then on
the fly it do conversion.

Actually right now this conversion map works for Roman languages.
For other language it should be other.

> You know that, now, RealBasic 5.2 uses UTF8 encoding in its internal strings.
>
> First) If I store string in UTF8 with a Mac, can I retrieve it with a
> Windows application ?

I afraid this conversion map can damage something, because UTF8 do not need
conversion correct?

> Second) And, if I can store UTF8 strings, what about Valentina sorting ?

I think it will work correctly.

I am starting now work on support of UTF8 for Valentina.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com