encoding in Valentina and RealBasic 5.2 (OS X)

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Fri Aug 1 20:22:18 CDT 2003

on 8/1/03 19:00, Carlo Rubini at osb at bttb.net.bd wrote:

>>>  Hello,
>>> it's a few days I'm trying to add records to a valentina db and to query
>>> them. Everything works fine untill the records dont contain any accented
>>> character. In fact, adding a record with accented characters in it, I'm not
>>> able to query it.
>>
>> Hi Carlo,
>>
>> I wonder if you did not forget set up correct language for your string
>> fields in tables?
>>
>> As I understand you use non English language.
>
> Hi Ruslan,
>
> my Mac's system language is English(USA); anyway,
>
> 1. if that was the reason dont you think I should have problems also in OS
> 9.2?
>
> 2. if I encode my accented word as 'garbage', than I can find it also
> in OS X; ex:
> word: élitist; if I add this record as ˆ©litist
> (root+copyright+litist) then it is found! Even in the db it is
> entered as 'garbage', but querying élitist Valentina finds it.
> Strange but true. So, I'm inclined to think that actually the real
> problem is centered on 'encoding'.
>
> I tried also to change <words> from VVarchar to Vstring, but it had no effect.

1) If you see that in db files it is as "garbage" this means you still NOT
correctly set encoding for strings when you add records!

2) You have talk about accented chars.
As I know in the English no such chars.
So I assume you use e.g. German text to store in db.

Then you was need specify language "German" for that string fields.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com