[VXCMD] Escaping Characters?

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Sat Apr 26 23:04:30 CDT 2003

I'm having a problem where certain characters that are contained in
'tText' in the following query:

put "SELECT Entities.RecID FROM Entities WHERE Entities.FindName LIKE '"
& tText & "' no_case" into tSQL

either return an error (616) or return all records.

The characters: <>;\]_~`!
all give you an Error 616 if not escaped with a \, and will CONTINUE to
give you an Error 616 if escaped but not found in any of the records in
the table.

The charcters: $*^()+{[|.?
return all records if not escaped with a \, and will return an Error 616
if escaped but not found in any of the records in the table.

How can I make sure I don't get any Errors at all, but still allow for
all these characters to be in the field (Entities.FindName) of my query?

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com
Web Site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/