[V4RB] SQL Queries/RB5.1/Unicode

Stan R. Busk maxprog at mac.com
Fri Apr 25 20:06:39 CDT 2003

Hi,

I have tried this too and also:

SearchString = ConvertText(Editfield.Text, GetTextEncoding(0))
SearchString = ConvertText(Editfield.Text, GetTextEncoding(0, 0))
SearchString = Editfield.Text.ConvertEncoding(Encodings.SystemDefault)
SearchString = ConvertFromUTF8(Editfield.Text, GetTextEncoding(0))
SearchString = ConvertToSystemEncoding(Editfield.Text)

and many more... None of them work with my accentuated words but all of
them work with non-accentuated words.

Stan

> We're using successfully it on all platforms RB supports. Convert your
> searchstring to MacRoman (or systemdefault).

>> on 4/25/03 2:43 PM, Stan R. Busk at maxprog at mac.com wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> New RB5.1 uses Unicode UTF8 everywhere, this is great! But when you
>>> take a string from an edit field to be part of an SQL query and this
>>> string contains an accentuated character, it always returns 0 entries
>>> found (works fine with raw ASCII characters though). I have tried to
>>> convert this string in many ways unsuccessfully, basically from UTF8
>>> MacRoman. I almost tried everything getting wrong results like char
>>> "à"
>>> converted to "a'" and so on...
>>>
>>> When I guess a Valentina VVarchar field encoding it returns
>>> Base=&hA01
>>> with Variant=0 when it contains no accentuated chars but nil when it
>>> does!
>>>
>>> I know UTF8 support is being added to Valentina and I will likely
>>> then
>>> convert all my database strings to it but on the meantime I would
>>> like
>>> to know how could I make it work with my current database strings,
>>> basically how can I take an UTF8 string and add it to my SQL query
>>> securely?
>>
>> Well, for old RB you send to Valentina strings in MacRoman, correct?
>>
>> And String/VarChar field must have correct language to be set.
>>
>> So if you have correct language, and in RB 5.1 you convert to MacRoman
>> before you send to Valentina then must work...
>>
>> May be somebody else have more info.
>
> --

MAX Programming, LLC
<http://maxprog.com>