[V4RB] SQL Queries/RB5.1/Unicode

Stan R. Busk maxprog at mac.com
Fri Apr 25 17:25:57 CDT 2003

Hi,

> Well, for old RB you send to Valentina strings in MacRoman, correct?

Correct. The default MacRoman encoding.

> And String/VarChar field must have correct language to be set.

I have been using "ASCII" as a language for all my String/VarChar
fields so far. It works fine with Spanish, French German, Dutch and
many other european languages with RB up to 4.5.x (fully tested) but
doesn't anymore with RB5.1

> So if you have correct language, and in RB 5.1 you convert to MacRoman
> before you send to Valentina then must work...

Maybe here I need to be sure my database string fields are in the right
language and not row ASCII. Anyway this language setting is a bit
confusing and UTF8 would remove it forever and make Database contents
fully portable to one system to another wherever the language or the
platform are.

Stan

> on 4/25/03 2:43 PM, Stan R. Busk at maxprog at mac.com wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> New RB5.1 uses Unicode UTF8 everywhere, this is great! But when you
>> take a string from an edit field to be part of an SQL query and this
>> string contains an accentuated character, it always returns 0 entries
>> found (works fine with raw ASCII characters though). I have tried to
>> convert this string in many ways unsuccessfully, basically from UTF8
>> MacRoman. I almost tried everything getting wrong results like char
>> "à"
>> converted to "a'" and so on...
>>
>> When I guess a Valentina VVarchar field encoding it returns Base=&hA01
>> with Variant=0 when it contains no accentuated chars but nil when it
>> does!
>>
>> I know UTF8 support is being added to Valentina and I will likely then
>> convert all my database strings to it but on the meantime I would like
>> to know how could I make it work with my current database strings,
>> basically how can I take an UTF8 string and add it to my SQL query
>> securely?
>
> Well, for old RB you send to Valentina strings in MacRoman, correct?
>
> And String/VarChar field must have correct language to be set.
>
> So if you have correct language, and in RB 5.1 you convert to MacRoman
> before you send to Valentina then must work...
>
> May be somebody else have more info.
>
> --
> Best regards,

MAX Programming, LLC