V4RB: Win performance dragging

Eric Baumgartner eric at inquirium.net
Fri Apr 11 00:02:56 CDT 2003

I'm seeing a very strange speed issue where creating a new Valentina
database on Win XP and  Win Me takes anywhere from 5-10 seconds,
while creating the same database on Mac OS X and Classic takes about
a second. It's not just my Windows box; I've had reports from beta
testers that my app takes around 10 seconds to create a new database
file.

I've been trying to trace this back on the assumption that it's my
code, but now I can reproduce the symptoms using the Three Tables
example project that comes with Valentina. I'm using RB 4.5.2 and
V4RB 1.9.7, my build machine in an iBook running OS X 10.2.4.

I added a touch of profiling code to the example, but otherwise it's
exactly as I downloaded it.

The compiled OS X app, running on my 600MHz iBook, completes the
following line of code (found in the File/New menu handler of the app
object) in about 0.5 or 0.6 seconds.

res = w.mDataBase.Create( f, 4, 32 * 1024 )

The compiled Windows app, running on my 1.7GHz Dell Celeron, Win XP
Home, takes about 6 seconds to complete the same line of code!

Does anyone have any ideas about what could be causing this? Any
chance moving up to the 1.9.8 betas will address it? I'm sure this
isn't normal, but I'm at a loss to figure out what's wrong.

Eric