V4RB suggestions/feature requests

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Mon Apr 7 22:32:47 CDT 2003

on 4/7/03 5:45 PM, Pedro fp at lists at pedro.net.au wrote:

>>> What it amounts to is an additional field property [Label As String]
>>> that I implement by sub-classing & would like you to add to Valentina.
>>> Please consider :)
>>
>> I think this is VERY specific to YOUR app, and it should not be in
>> generic
>> db engine.
>
> For the first time I have cause to disagree with you.

Okay, then let's discuss more.
May be I have not correctly understand something.

> In every database
> project I have ever worked on, whether I am developing with Panorama,
> FileMaker, REALdb or Valentina [all the DBs I have used more then
> trivially in order of use] I have found that field names that are
> programmer friendly are not end user friendly. Field labels are my way
> of overcoming this.

Hmm,

Do you realize that in fact you an have:
1) in RB code variables named as fldName
2) but real database field name can be different, e.g. "Name".

> I should stress that until my current project my implementations of
> field labels have no functionality attached. They have been labels &
> nothing more. As I stated in my first email on this, my current project
> reads the first line if imported files to determine whether it is a
> header or data. An an end user consideration I have made the field
> labels [as well as field names] acceptable values in this. Even this is
> a minimal functionality, my code simply looks to see if a header value
> is a field label & if it is gets the corresponding field name &
> substitutes that for all subsequent operations.

So, does your "labels" have any sense if forget about import file?

May be you can give some example?
IT should be with simple plain english and as short as possible, please.
:-)

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com