V4RB suggestions/feature requests

Pedro fp lists at pedro.Net.au
Tue Apr 8 00:45:58 CDT 2003

G'day Ruslan

[re-sending because 6 hours after sending it doesn't appear to have
been delivered]

Thank you for reading my suggestions. Given you replied via the list
should I take it that you would rather feature requests & suggestions
be posted to the list?

Before I go on to replying here is some more on TextImport & TextExport
that I forgot to include in my first email of this thread ...

Consider add in something like Data As TextInputStream &/or Data As
String as alternatives to the File As FolderItem parameter of
TextImport. This would enable developers to have the files opened,
examined for headers &/or any other additional content, perform any
necessary 'cleaning' on the file & pass the result directly to
TextImport without writing a temp file. This might even eliminate the
need for the HasHeader property that I suggested because it would make
the handling of files that do have headers a whole lot easier.

Similarly Data As TextOutputStream &/or Data As String as alternatives
to the File As FolderItem parameter of TextExport would make writing of
files with headers &/or other additional content a whole lot simpler.

On Monday, April 7, 2003, at 06:00  AM, Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:

> on 4/6/03 7:04 PM, Pedro fp at mail at pedro.Net.au wrote:
>
>> As I said in my mail to the list I think an optional parameter to
>> ImportText, HasHeader As Boolean, with a default value of false, would
>> be a great improvement. As it is if a developer wants to accommodate
>> files that have headers s/he has to write code to open the file with
>> the header, write a new [temp] file that has no header & then pass
>> that
>> file to ImportText. Setting a parameter to true when required would be
>> a whole lot simpler.
>
> Agree. I know that some DBMS e.g. Access or Excel,
> Produce this header line.

And also FileMaker Pro & Panorama. FMP has a checkbox in its file
import dialog for treating the first line as headers or not [I don't
recall the export case right now] & Panorama has a checkbox for
including headers in exports [but always treats the first line of
import files as data thus requiring some handling].

>> What it amounts to is an additional field property [Label As String]
>> that I implement by sub-classing & would like you to add to Valentina.
>> Please consider :)
>
> I think this is VERY specific to YOUR app, and it should not be in
> generic
> db engine.

For the first time I have cause to disagree with you. In every database
project I have ever worked on, whether I am developing with Panorama,
FileMaker, REALdb or Valentina [all the DBs I have used more then
trivially in order of use] I have found that field names that are
programmer friendly are not end user friendly. Field labels are my way
of overcoming this.

I should stress that until my current project my implementations of
field labels have no functionality attached. They have been labels &
nothing more. As I stated in my first email on this, my current project
reads the first line if imported files to determine whether it is a
header or data. An an end user consideration I have made the field
labels [as well as field names] acceptable values in this. Even this is
a minimal functionality, my code simply looks to see if a header value
is a field label & if it is gets the corresponding field name &
substitutes that for all subsequent operations.

>  Thank you for ideas.

Thank you for reading them :)

> Let's hope 2.0 will include this features.

:)

Cheers, Pedro :-)

Web: <http://www.pedro.net.au>                    PGP Key ID: 387CD96F
Instant messaging...  AIM: bandidoOfOz  ICQ: 27671678  Jabber: pedrofp
                       MSN: mail at pedro.net.au           Yahoo: pedro_fp
"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the
homeless, whether the mad destruction is brought under the name
of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?"
                                            M K (Mahatma) Gandhi