VStudio - Using Binary Links Instead of RecID etc.

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Fri Jun 1 02:28:42 CDT 2007

On 1/6/07 10:14 AM, "Barry G. Sumpter" <BarrySum at BigPond.Net.AU> wrote:

> Nope, my bad.
>
> After having a fresh look I can read the following: Work With Records
> paragraph.
>
> Which, I think is telling me I have to add another step to manage my own
> Valentina Binary Index table.

> More work,

WRONG.

I think you read too brief.
Please read carefully.

You understand good I think Foreign Key concept.
Then it must be EASY for you understand idea of RecID + ObjectPtr.
And after this check BinaryLink.

It is not more work for BinaryLink if you want link T1 and T2
as Many to Many.

Think again about this.

If you have table as 1 : M then better use ObjectPtr

> Although its binary and looks easy enough and will be faster.
> Cool.  I'll have a go.

Binary Links are good for M:M first of all.

We need improve them yet to make perfect for 1:M

Although yes, for 1:M it is one more step to link records of 2 tables
comparing to FK where you just INSERT VALUES.

> I had expected it to function like the Foreign Key fields.

If you want replace FK, then check ObjectPtr first of all

> i.e. Just updating the index with the same update command using the Foreign
> Key field name in the query.

> ---
>
> Also, I'd like to read thru some more regarding the Field Method attribute.
> So far I've just read about Method('RecID') and Method ('Concat(FirstName, '
> ', LastName))
>

> Any other tidbits or hyperlinks would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.valentina-db.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=paradigma:public:en:documen
tation:vsql:reference:reference

Here section  EXPRESSION and FUNCTIONs show you all functions you can use in
methods