VStudio - Can I make RecID my Primary Key? - I recommend - NO

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Fri Jun 1 01:27:15 CDT 2007

On 1/6/07 3:32 AM, "Barry G. Sumpter" <BarrySum at BigPond.Net.AU> wrote:

Hi Barry,

I have not catch all this.

RecID is FUNDAMENTAL feature of Valentina Database Model.
It is used for a lots of other features, design and algorithms.

> The only way around this, that I recall, is to setup Cascade Deletes where
> you can't delete a parent record (i.e. unique RecID) until all associated
> child records have been previously deleted.  Thereby removing any
> association to the specific RecID.
>
> --
>
> WARNING - any kind of archiving of live db to history db using the RecID
> (after Valentina recovery of RecIDs) will make the history db RecIDs
> duplicated.
>
> --
>
> Unless something has changed in v3 or there is some doco I havn't read yet,
> my recommendation is NOT to use RecID in this manner.

RecID must not be used as Primary Key from point of view Relational Model.

RecID must be used only with ObjectPtr field, which replace Foreign Key.

Valentina provides reference integrity for RecID + ObjectPtr link.