Import of mySQL text file into Valentina

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sun Jan 7 17:31:12 CST 2007

On 8/1/07 1:08 AM, "Kim Kohen" <kim at webguide.com.au> wrote:

Hi Kim,

> There's been a a *lot* of discussion lately about migration from
> MySQL to Valentina and, having been though the process recently, I
> think there's a real need for a robust conversion utility which looks
> after schema mapping, data import, quotes and escaping, encoding and
> any other 'gotchas' that might arise.

Target is to get this in
    Valentina Studio - ODBC Import Wizard.

Keith was able load a lots of tables today, not bad result.
For now I have no idea how to get from Keith info about failed table...
His db is big..But Jochen need something to reproduce problem.

--------
> Whilst at it, a similar utility for PostgreSQL and Sqlite (RealDB)
> would also be an advantage. I don't think you can underestimate the
> advantage of being able to simply convert a database for use with
> Valentina.

You mean that we must be able also import data from Postgre and SQL Lite?
I believe again ODBC is good way for this.

As far as I know, up to know most people have use ODBC import with MS
Access.

> As people run into the limitations of the various systems
> (MySQL:licensing, PostgreSQL:support, RealDB:scalability) the need
> for a pain free migration seems to be an important consideration.

No doubts.

> Having to jump through hoops and dodge bugs with VStudio isn't the
> best way to introduce people to Valentina.

> The quirkiness of the Valentina API was difficult enough for me,
> without having to endure weeks of suffering getting my data moved
> over from MySQL.  A conversion utility would surely encourage people
> to at least try Valentina - particularly if the RB way and new
> databindings can be made solid.
>
> I think the ultimate solution for someone from MySQL etc wanting to
> try Valentina would be to
>
> 1) Convert db though conversion utility
> 2) change  mydb = new MySQL database to mydb = New Valentina Database
> 3) compile and build application :)

Yes a dream :-)

Now more details.

1) We have to deal with ODBC import.
Because this is the most universal way to import from different db sources.

2) yes I can guess that it will be MORE SIMPLE, if Valentina Studio could
directly connect to a mySQL server and load data.

But here exists big problem with LICENSE of mySQL client.
We cannot use them for free.

3) Let me remind that exists one more IDEAL WAY to load database
        via SQL DUMP.

For now we catch issues related to mySQL non-SQL92 standard extensions.

For info of all, mySQL server have a PROPERTY -- work as ANSI.
    you should TEND to use this to get SQL dumps as close to
    standard as possible.

In IDEAL it must work as easy as:
    STEP1 - dump from mySQL/Postgre
    STEP2 - LOAD into new Valentina db.