using SQLEditor with Valentina

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sun Aug 26 09:56:27 CDT 2007

On 26/8/07 4:59 PM, "william humphrey" <shoreagent at gmail.com> wrote:

>> But again, THEY CAN implement work with Valentina using only Rlational
>> model, and this CAN make some people happy.

> -- I would be happiest if your diagram feature worked better.

If take into account that our Diagrams panel was born only month ago,
I hope it is not so bad? :-)

And this was only ONE OF tasks during this month.,

> I will go back to using it instead of SQLEditor then and keep making reports
> in Mantis. I just downloaded the latest build of Valentina Studio.

You mean 3.3fc2 from yesterday, right?

Ok, And in CVS we already have one more newer commit from developer.
So soon should be newer build also.

> I do admit that you and your fellow programmers sure fix things quickly.

> Please ask the programmer who is making the diagram feature to look at
> SQLEditor for interface ideas.

Ok, I self will do this also.

> I think the thing I like most about SQLEditor
> is that I can design and do things without having to read instructions -- it
> just makes sense immediately which is how I like user interfaces to be.

Sounds good.

> For
> example to make links in Valentina Studio Diagram you don't pull the mouse
> from one field to another instead you have to use the contexual menu (I now
> realize that you probably have lots of contexual menu things that I am
> missing as Mac users don't expect that kind of interface while Windows users
> do -- so I will command click more things).

Look.

We CAN EASY add support of creation of FOREIGN KEY link using Mouse drag
between 2 fields. I think this will take just 1-2 hours for Igor.

Deal is that we cannot in such simple way produce e.g. BinaryLink ...
Although we also can improve things here!

Really, to establish BinaryLink, it need drag mouse from head of table to
head of another table, andon mouse release we should get the same dialog as
we get now on "CreateBinaryLink..." but BOTH TABLES already are specified,
so only left todo choose e.g. One to Many, and other optional parameters...

Anything else in our Diagrams are not yet intuitive enough?

>> But this not means in any case that we can avoid "duplicating" their
>> features. We just MUST do that, William. Sooner or later.
>

> Please keep dupulicating the powerful features you find in other programs. I
> was just thinking that it is an awful lot of work for you.

:-)

We do not like when somebody says that something in Valentina is not so good
as in other dbs or utils.