import from microsoft sql server

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sun Apr 29 00:52:34 CDT 2007

On 28/4/07 5:06 PM, "Georgiu Konstantinos" <georgiu at cti.gr> wrote:

Hi Georgiu,

> Ok. now I get the whole thing. Also you are totally right to your assumption.
> I want simultaneously access to both valentina dvd db and web ms sql
> db. There will be a big database on the net and a part of it will be imported
> in valentina db in the dvd (in a multimedia title). The multimedia application
> will have the option to access the web db too, so as to be more dynamic. This
> double access dbs thing, I think will create some problems. I can't change the
> type of web db. Must be microsoft sql, it's not my decision, unfortunately.
>
> What about using golden gate xtra for director to access both valentina dvd db
> (through odbc) and web sql server db?
> Will I lose in efficiency,speed,etc?

Well, for this you need try combination
    GG + VODBC Standalone Driver win.

But note VODBC exists only for WIN

Yes ODBC is slower, but may be speed will be acceptable for you.

> However the problems will be more general as combining 2
> different dbs will be difficult. They should have some kind of similar
> structure. I think discussing about embedding a microsoft sql standalone dbms
> doesn't worth, eh? Other option is to import the whole db to a web valentina
> db. although this will cause maintaining 2 web dbs. The last option is to not
> have web access. After talking to our customers will help us choose the best
> solution.

Yes keeping all in V4MD + Vserver could be simplest case.

When people use few dbs, they usually spend time to develop some kind of own
classes-wrappers, which provide single abstraction.

> And a license question :
> My company will develop this multimedia dvd title in director for an
> organization. We will burn about 1000 dvds with the valentina db. So because I
> don't quite understand all this licensing info in the site. Could you give me
> a hint about the cost.And what exactly is that VDN?

For DVD project you need just V4MD ($300)

VDN - is kind of bundle that includes many Valentina goods,
    and the main its goods is Valentina Embedded Server.

People use VDN when they want ship 1000 DVD that contains Valentina Server,
so e.g. 1000 schools will get own Valentina Server.