import from microsoft sql server

Georgiu Konstantinos georgiu at cti.gr
Sat Apr 28 09:06:10 CDT 2007

Good Afternoon Jochen and Ruslan,

>No - i am afraid. This will not work. For accessing other ODBC
>databases you must use Valentina Studio. There is a Valentina ODBC
>driver - but that's for the other way round:
>Accessing a VALENTINA database through ODBC tools, you see? So - that
>is not what you want.

>Please describe more detailed what you want to do.
>- You will have a Valentina database on CD/DVD, right?
>- Data in this database is an import from a sql server - it was done
>before producing the CD, right?
>- You also need Web access to this sql-server? And you want put data
>from it into this Valentina database?
>   So - the Valentina database is COPIED from the CD and updated? Or
>you will have simultaneous access to both - the Valentina database
>   and the sql-server? If yes then you will need another tool for
>this Web access - it has nothing to do with Valentina, right?

Ok. now I get the whole thing. Also you are totally right to your assumption. I want simultaneously access to both valentina dvd db and web ms sql
db. There will be a big database on the net and a part of it will be imported in valentina db in the dvd (in a multimedia title). The multimedia application will have the option to access the web db too, so as to be more dynamic. This double access dbs thing, I think will create some problems. I can't change the type of web db. Must be microsoft sql, it's not my decision, unfortunately.

What about using golden gate xtra for director to access both valentina dvd db (through odbc) and web sql server db?Will I lose in efficiency,speed,etc?However the problems will be more general as combining 2 different dbs will be difficult. They should have some kind of similar structure. I think discussing about embedding a microsoft sql standalone dbms doesn't worth, eh? Other option is to import the whole db to a web valentina db. although this will cause maintaining 2 web dbs. The last option is to not have web access. After talking to our customers will help us choose the best solution.

And a license question :
My company will develop this multimedia dvd title in director for an organization. We will burn about 1000 dvds with the valentina db. So because I don't quite understand all this licensing info in the site. Could you give me a hint about the cost.And what exactly is that VDN?

>Ok - feel free to contact us if any more problems arise!
I'll sure do!!! :-D

Thanks a lot,
Kostas