import from microsoft sql server

Jochen Peters j.peters at valentina-db.de
Fri Apr 27 10:37:27 CDT 2007

Hi Georgiu,

> Hello one time more,
> We really start to communicate very well ;-)

Well - i hope it helps!

> I just have few more questions
No problem.

>> Aha - now i understand. Note that there is a special command for
>> Valentina databases called "clone" - so i was confused here.
>> What you want is not cloning - it is importing, ok?
> Ok. sorry, although I ve seen it I thought it was like grouping the
> whole functionality.Never mind
>

>>> This happens during IMPORT?
>>> Or during fetching of database structure?
>> 1.During Connecting
>> This happens when I connect, when it tries to fetch the database
>> structure. It fetches the tables and views correctly but it can't
>> fetch any results (meaning data?).
>> After these errors the database appears (as an odbc datasource) but
>> when I try, for a table, to see the data (with open data editor)
>> the same error occurs .(If I do the same second time the valentina
>> studio crashes). So is it possible to fetch the data from an odbc
>> connection? Can studio do that or this happens only when using the
>> driver combined with a tool (like valentina for director, that is
>> what i want) or it is possible only with an xtra like goldengate?
>
>> Aha - i see. So you try to use Valentina Studio to browse the data in
>> the ODBC datasource, right? Well - this is not official supported by
>> Studio because there are tons of tools out there which can
>> browse ODBC datasources. Valentina Studio is build to focus on
>> Valentina databases. It has only limited support for browsing ODBC
>> datasources and this code is not
>> heavily maintained.
>
> Ok, now I see,too, what is the problem. But Can I use only the odbc
> driver (without the studio) plus an application developer kit (like
> for director) to access full-functionally an sql-server?

No - i am afraid. This will not work. For accessing other ODBC
databases you must use Valentina Studio. There is a Valentina ODBC
driver - but that's for the other way round:
Accessing a VALENTINA database through ODBC tools, you see? So - that
is not what you want.

> Because I will propably need both access to cd/dvd valentina-
> database (that's why I want to import a part of the database to
> valentina db)  and web access to sql server (that's why I want odbc
> data retreiving from such a db). So is the odbc driver full-
> functional? Is it maintained? and is there be anykind of manual or
> tutorial? The valentina site seems to lack such tutorial. Maybe
> there are some examples about it. I have to go, I'll look on Monday
> about it again.

Please describe more detailed what you want to do.
- You will have a Valentina database on CD/DVD, right?
- Data in this database is an import from a sql server - it was done
before producing the CD, right?
- You also need Web access to this sql-server? And you want put data
from it into this Valentina database?
   So - the Valentina database is COPIED from the CD and updated? Or
you will have simultaneous access to both - the Valentina database
   and the sql-server? If yes then you will need another tool for
this Web access - it has nothing to do with Valentina, right?

>> So - let's concentrate on importing.
>

>>> Have you choosed to let Studio create all necessary tables for you?
>> How do I do it?
>
>> When you use the Import Wizard it will automatically ask you for this
>> if you choose to
>> create a new Valentina database.
> A ok!
>

>> I see - so some fields are not mapped correctly. Hhmm - i guess that
>> these mappings must aditional coded.
>> you can try another way:
>
>> After creation of all tables and fields just cancel the Import
>> Wizard. Then restart Valentina Studio and open the newly created
>> database.
>> Then add by hand all the missing fields in the tables.
>
>> Then again start the Import Wizard with this database open. Do not
>> choose to create a new database - just use
>> the open one. Then step by step select each table and do the
>> necessary mappings by dragging and droping the corresponding fields.
>
>> Maybe this helps - but i am not sure if during the import all will
>> work right for this unsupported field types - the problem is that
>> Valentina Studio
>> do not know the type nvarchar - so it simply ignores it, i guess.
> Ok. With some minimal test this seems to work fine. Thanks a lot

So - you was able to import now using this way? Good!

>>> Another possibility to import data is to export them first to text-
>>> files and importing these text-files using Valentina Studio#s Import
>>> Wizard.
>> What about this way? It is much easier because in case of text files
>> the field types do not matter any more.
>> So - for your scenario i recommend to try text file import.
> I'll have done this too. It's ok too. thanks a lot.Really helpful.

Ok - feel free to contact us if any more problems arise!