ODBC access

Jochen Peters j.peters at valentina-db.de
Tue Jan 31 10:34:54 CST 2006

Hi Sean,

>>> Also note that the ODBC-Plugin is not build for BROWSING ODBC databases
>>> -
>>> there are hundreds of tools around which do support this! You can uses
>>> the ODBC Plugin for IMPORTING data into a Valentina database.
>>> To remove irritation we will completly disable the browsing feature in
>>> the
>>> ODBC Plugin for the next build.
>>
>> There may well be hundreds of such tools. To have found a useful
>> function in my existing toolset was, well, useful - far from an
>> irritation. The entire reason I bought it up was because it was no
>> longer working! I can only express disappointment that you want to
>> drop this feature, /especially/ as it worked previously.
>
> Sean,
>
> Let me explain.
>
> We have class SchemaBrowser. It work with interfaces
>
>     vs_I_Database
>     vs_I_Table
>     vs_I_Field
>
> Now each plugin impleemnt these interfaces:
>
>     plugin_v2, plugin_v1, plugin ODBC
>
> You see idea of design.
>
> But we have meet problem that to add into Schema Browser more and more
> features from Valentina 2 we need add more and more methods into these
> vs_I_
> interfaces. For v1 and ODBC plugins they do not have sense.
>
> Or even if they have sense it require from us 3 times more efforts to
> implement them. ODBC start cause problems related to OTHER dbs and ODBC
> itself.
Yes - the main point here is that we first must concentrate on accessing
Valentina databases - i guess you agree here.
I also think that browsing an ODBC datasource can be very helpfull
during development - this was the intention to made such a design.

> So we have decide that better first of all (at least) implement all
> functionality that we must have around Valentina 2 than spend time to add
> one more browser tool for mySQL, Oracle, Postgre.
>

> IN THE SAME TIME Valentina Studio will still be able do IMPORT of
> structure
> and data from any ODBC source. Jochen will add back ODBC plugin for next
> build so ODBC import will work on default.
>
> You see our point?
>
> Do you point that you have use Valentina Studio to browse data of other
> DBMS
> via ODBC connection ?

Well - as i understand yes, right?

Sean - i can offer you help here:
As i have said we will disable BROWSING of ODBC beginning with the next
build.
But I can easy add an option to the Valentina Preferences file which can
be turned on to still allow browsing. On default this (unsupported) feature
will be turned off.
IMPORTANT point here: We will not offer any support for this!
(But you are right: It has worked before - and still works in the latest
build - so - you can use it AS IS)