Valentina Studio Require OS X 10.4 + [Read All Please]

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Fri Apr 14 10:53:19 CDT 2006

Hi All,

Below is little discussion from Mantis.
I think it is good once again expose it to lists.

1) Valentina engine require MAC OS 10.2 or better.
    We do not support 10.1

Christopher, this is not only because we are so bad. Apple itself do not
support 10.1. Read this for example:

    Xcode supports development for Mac OS X 10.2 (Jaguar),
    Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther), or Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
    (both PowerPC and Intel) using the Mac OS X SDK support.

If Xcode do no support 10.1, then how you think WE can support it ???

-------------
2) Valentina Studio have even stronger requirement - 10.4
    Because we develop it as Universal Binary application.

In fact even before we have introduce UB support, Vstudio did not go on 10.3
on some reasons. One of them - Xcode 2.2 use GCC 4 compiler which produce
code not running on 10.3

Jochen have spend 2 days in March investigating this question,
Answer was - There is no easy way support 10.3

I do not want put all rats on Apple, but as Lynn have warn few months ago,
Apple now control Hardware, OS, and Developer Tools. Evil combination...

They now can *force* developers drop old versions. Only potential way - to
keep separate computer with separate old compilers and produce several
branches of products. Not big pleasure, yes?

Apple do not care now about back compatibility. And this is bad.

Unfortunately we do not have on hands version of Vstudio that runs on 10.3.
Right Jochen? May be somebody on list have save it ?

Christopher, I want point that more and more developers will start now
produce Universal Binary apps. Right? This means they will not work on 10.3.
10.3 die VERY FAST. 10.4 Become very fast the minimal requirement for MAC
computer.

 rz - 04-13-06 16:34
10.3.9  ?!!  wow

we do not support 10.3 already few months.

 cbishop - 04-13-06 17:36
Are you saying that having 10.3 is the problem?  Do I have to go out and
purchase 10.4 just to use the demo?

 cbishop - 04-13-06 19:53
Do you have an older version that supports 10.3?  I just need to set up a
database; nothing too complicated.

Also, as far as Valentina Server goes, I have many customers who still
have 10.1 and 10.2 servers.  Are they not going to be able to use VServer?

 cbishop - 04-13-06 19:57
Also, something to consider:

Only 4 computers in my workplace have OS 10.4 installed on them.  The rest
(maybe 40 machines) have OS 10.3 installed.

Businesses do not like upgrading all the time.  It causes problems with
the software they already have.  Schools and school districts are even
worse: once they get computers running, they let them go until they die.