YMVSF - Yet more Valentina Studio Feedback

Ed Kleban Ed at Kleban.com
Thu Dec 22 21:41:55 CST 2005

On 12/22/05 9:23 PM, "Ed Kleban" <Ed at kleban.com> wrote:

> Given that this was implemented along with:
>
> a) Remembering per-table column width settings,
> b) Remembering window positions so that windows for various tables always
> open in the same place,
> c) Width problems are solved so that you only need a window that is as wide
> as the number of columns of data you have rather than wasting massive
> amounts of screen with white space and you could align the windows side by
> side and see more than one at the same time.
>
> THEN
>
> You could simply double-click on row numbers of records to traverse links
> throughout the database exceedingly rapidly and with great ease.  This would
> be very powerful, and essentially provide a means for browsing V2 tables and
> relations in a similarly powerful manner as REALinsight will provide for
> traversing RB source code method references.

This also suggests another possible viewing paradigm that could be
implemented that I've been thinking about for several days now. Namely, a
tabbed window paradigm like the  Safari, Firefox, or RB 2005 interface,
rather than a Window with selectable table interface as now implemented.

In the RB2005 interface, the default is open up any newly referenced method
or property, such as double clicking on a reference in the Search Results or
Project tab, by selecting the existing tab for the class in the current
window, or opening a new tab if there is none, and then showing the method
or property of interest.

The user can however command double-click on a class name from the Project
tab (but due to a bug or oversight not yet from the Search Results tab) to
instead open a new window with a tab displaying the class of interest.

VS could do something similar, or perhaps the more appropriate behavior is
to do the reverse.  Namely double-clicking on a record row header in an open
Data Browser either brings forward or opens a new window for viewing the
table, but command double-clicking instead changes the popup setting of the
current window to instead display the table clicked on.

VS could also go further and provide a tabbed window interface instead of
the popup table selector as do RB 2005, Safari, and Firefox.  In fact, there
may well be merit in providing an option for viewing the tabs in a
"last-referenced" rather than "first-opened" order -- similar to the order
of the breadcrumb listing at the top of a Docuwiki page for going back to
recently viewed pages.