Valentina Studio - Top 10 Impressions

Ed Kleban Ed at Kleban.com
Tue Dec 20 15:56:15 CST 2005

On 12/20/05 3:38 PM, "Ruslan Zasukhin" <sunshine at public.kherson.ua> wrote:

> On 12/20/05 8:56 PM, "Jochen Peters" <j.peters at valentina-db.de> wrote:
>
>>> 8) I appreciate it that when I select a record, that one  (unpredictable)
>>> field is highlighted.  I do not appreciate the fact that it is  highlighted
>>> in
>>> a manner such that if I type any character on the keyboard the  contents is
>>> then CHANGED.  I would far prefer to see it highlighted in a  manner ‹ or
>>> not
>>> at all if I just click on a row number (recId) that requires me to
>>> explicitly
>>> click on the cell to begin cell editing.  Especially  since there is no UNDO
>>> so if I accidentally change a value and don¹t recall its (potentially very
>>> long) previous value, there's no way to restore it.
>>
>> No - wrong. You can press "ESC" to restore the previous value. And note
>> that the record is saved only if you go to another record!
>
> Right.
>
> Note PENCIL - icon. This means record in EDIT mode.
>
> You can finish EDIT mode in this ways:
>
>     ESC             - cancel changes
>
>     CMD + RETURN    - commit changes
>
>     ARRORS move     - commit changes and go to other record
>
>     mouse click to other record or empty space -- commit changes.
>
> -------
> Jochen,
>
> In the same time I also have see that we need that
>
>     cmd+Z do work while I am in edit of cell.
>
> I think now also not work
>     cmd+A, cmd+C, ..

I would also recommend that you need a way to distinguish between
highlighting a cell to show where a cursor is, and opening a cell for
editing -- just like is done in Excel.  Furthermore, clicking on a row
number (recID) should highlight the row, but should NOT open a cell for
editing.  Since cell editing is destructive you should make it a requirement
for the user to explicitly perform some action to convey "I want to actively
edit the contents of this cell", not simply throw them into an editor for an
(unintuitively-selected) cell just because they click on the Row to see
items in a related table.