[VS] [some Mac specific] mostly cosmetic issues - new and old

Michael Young m.young at mac.com
Sat Aug 6 00:17:49 CDT 2005

Hello everyone,

I apologize to others on the list who are presenting meaty issues, but
I only have time for fluff right now. My current
observations/suggestions may seem out of place in these list
discussions. Please understand that I think Valentina, including VS, is
a great product that I want to see it get better and I offer my
observations/suggestions in that vain.

1. Application icon is still jaggedy. :-)

2. When I start up the VS program the Schema Browser window is drawn
then it is very quickly redrawn about 5% larger. I have no idea why
this redrawn happens. It makes the program start look unsmooth. OS X
10.3.9. Dual 1.8 GHz G5. 1600 by 1200 LCD monitor at native resolution.
Schema Browser window size is the VS program default window size, not
full screen. Mac VS 2.0b12.

3. Schema Browser Preferences window opens with the right lower corner
window resize control (is that the correct name?) overlapping Cancel
button, which looks a little bad. Also the Schema Browser Preferences
window can be resized, but the resize is not remembered because the
default window size is used the next time the Schema Browser
Preferences window is opened. Does this Schema Browser Preferences
window even need to be resizable? The only reason I can see for such
windows to be resizable is that larger fonts might need a larger
window.

BTW, Schema Browser Preferences window screen location should probably
be remembered.

4. Speaking of fonts. It is great that font size can be changed in
Help. It would be great if font size could be changed in VS itself or
have I missed that feature?

5. To my way of thinking, Schema Browser Datasources column + sign at
the bottom should "create" new datasource not "open" new datasource
since the next three columns to the right all "create" when clicking +.
Shouldn't this first column + also create for consistency? How about
some type of connection icon in the first column in addition to the +
or in place of it? Besides this column's + mouse over tip says "open
new datasource", but the window that opens when the + is clicked says
"Connect to Valentina Server". The tip and window title should probably
be consistent.

An alternative idea might be to present a different create window when
+ is clicked depending on what the Datatsources top of column pulldown
list setting is. For example, with ODBC datasource selected in this
pulldown clicking the + presents ODBC datasource window, with Valentina
1.x Database Files selected in this pulldown clicking the + presents
that type of create window, etc.

6. VS Preferences might include VS font size default, Valentina 1.x vs.
Valentina 2.x Database Files default for new local databases, and
Database File path default.

7. Speaking of Database File path, I find it curious that File:Open
local database appears to default to the last Database File folder
used, while the create new Database File path appears to always
defaults to the Application folder. The Open folder methodology makes
more sense to me, however both Open and Create might benefit from VS
Preferences path defaults.

8. Shouldn't the very commonly used Mac shortcut command-N do something
- new Schema Browser, new database, new something?

9. Quitting VS with databases open presents a dialog window that will
freak out my end users. For example, "Please confirm 1 databases still
open, close anyway?" (Of course, "database" rather than "databases"
should be present in this dialog window.) End users will call me in
panic about what to do in that dialog window. From the VS web site:

"On Your Desktop. VS.Admin is the easy to use solution for Windows and
MacOS X. It is easy enough to use by anyone in your office. You can
even browse and preview databases containing pictures."

However, this dialog will not be friendly for my end users. Maybe a
database close routine should be presented as an option in this dialog
window with a list of the open databases? Or maybe create a VS
Preferences selection that has an option to not allow users to quit VS
with open databases?

10. Datasource Elements column appears to use "delete" and "close"
synonymously. These terms do not intuitively mean the same thing to the
end users I have shown VS. The end users just stare at me when I
"delete" a datasource with - click then proceed to open it again,
especially since the Database Elements - click really deletes tables,
for example. It seems to me that these various columns need to be more
consistent in using "open", "close", "new" (which probably the
preferred term) or "create" and "delete" so that my end users will stop
staring. :-)

Thanks for reading this post.

Sincerely,

Michael Young

PS Product name consistency would probably be helpful to me as I try to
present VS to others as a viable business solution.
http://www.paradigmasoft.com/en/products/business/VSTUDIO

Valentina Studio

VS.Admin for Windows $59 Buy Now
VS.Admin for MacOS X $59 Buy Now

This is pre-release software, but available for pre-sale.

Valentina Studio, Administrator Edition is the first of a new family of
products from Paradigma Software. VS.Admin 2.0 exemplifies ease of use
in the creation and management of Valentina databases of any kind:
desktop, network and internet. Every copy of Valentina 2 Office Server
includes a free license of VS.Admin. Learn more about the business
advantages of Office Server.

In just a few lines, one product - Valentina Studio - has been called
three things: Valentina Studio, VS.Admin, and Valentina Studio,
Administrator Studio.