[Valentina-studio] Current development status, feature discussion

Jochen Peters j.peters at valentina-db.de
Mon Sep 22 13:24:32 CDT 2003

Hi guys!

I want to inform you about the current development status of Valentina
Studio:

I am currently working on the Alpha 11 version of Valentina Studio.
The main difference between this build and the latest public pre8 build
is that i
have added generic ODBC support to it! Valentina Studio is now able to
browse
through ODBC databases like Oracle, MySQL and others - and YES guys -
this also
works on Macintosh!!!

Because the ODBC support is very usefull for doing Import/Export jobs i
am now also
integrating a new Import Wizard. With this Wizard you will be able to
import data from any
ODBC datasource into a Valentina database and vice versa.

I will release a new alpha build as soon as the Import Wizard starts
working -
this will be the case in the next few days.

You can then use Valentina Studio for the same tasks as the current
ODBC utility - with the
advantage that it will also run on Macs!

Well - now it is time to discuss again the features we should include
into the first 1.0 version
of Valentina Studio. (Most likely it will be called "Valentina Studio
Admin" - or something like that)

Here comes a (uncomplete) list of the currently implemented main
features:

1) Modern Plugin-System
2) Running on Mac and Windows Systems
3) Browse and change the structure of Valentina database files (*.vdb)
4) Browse the data in Valentina database files - including picture
support.
5) Browse and change the structure of Valentina server databases
6) Browse the data in Valentina server databases - including picture
support.
7) Browse the structure of ODBC databases
8) Browse the data in ODBC databases
9) Import/Export  between ODBC and Valentina
10) Administration of Valentina Server (restart, shutdown, registering
databases)

What i want to know now is what should also be added into the 1.0
version?
The reason for that is that i want to start the beta phase as soon as
possible. As you know - beginning with the beta
phase only bugfixes, improvements and overall polishing of the
application will take place - no
completly new funcionality should be added then.

So far i don't have done any bugfixes and polishing - because i have
always added new funcionality. I feel know
that i should concentrate more on this to get a stable first version
which can be used in your everyday business.

What do you think?

Please send all the feauture which you think MUST be included to the
list for discussion - please don't
forget to give the feature a priority.

And again: We are talking about the 1.0 version. There will be a 1.1
... and a 2.0...
So - if any of your suggested features is not part of the 1.0 version
this does not mean that it won't be
implemented!

So - after this discussion we should have a roadmap for the next
Valentina Studio versions!