[Valentina-studio] [DISCUSSION] Improving column view

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Thu Nov 27 20:18:42 CST 2003

on 11/27/03 8:00 PM, Eric Forget at forgete at cafederic.com wrote:

> The framework
> -------------
>
> This is also from my experience...
>
> 1) Do not use wxWindows (or any other cross-platform framework), except if
> you want either: spend a lot more in the development or never have
> professional looking application. You do not believe me? Stop adding new
> features and try to remove all the current glitches on all platform: refresh
> problems, bad OS behavior, etc. Do not wait at the end this is the part that
> will take you about 90-95% time of the whole project. This has been true for
> all the places where I worked that tried cross-platform frameworks.
>
> 2) Use Cocoa on the Mac. Even if you do not know either it or Objective-C.
> You should be running after only 2-4 weeks.
>
> 3) Use either MFC or .Net on Windows. MFC is the past and .Net the future.
> However, MFC will be supported long time from now.

Argh!!!

Sounds like a bad news.

* I know that Jochen have choose long time wxWindows.

* Eric, but we also want Linux.
    following your logic, we will need to have 3 TOTALLY DIFFERENT code-base
for the same application. This is not real for small team I think.

* if you say true, then why so many developers use wxWindows?
    I know its list have hundred and more letters per day.

Jochen, what you think?

May be you need ask on wxwindows list/site for success stories?
Does anybody was able create with it great, famous applications?
Does exists such list of success stories.
Actually I have ask you about this before.
It is interesting to download and check that apps.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com