[Valentina-studio] {DISCUSSION] Screenshot from latest Schema Browser

Jochen Peters j.peters at valentina-db.de
Sat Nov 8 13:42:18 CST 2003

Hi all,

As i have told recently i am now also working on improving the GUI of
vStudio.
Attached you can find a screenshot of the latest Schema Browser (in
column view)

What do you think about it?

The two left icons on the top are selfmade - i think they can be
improved - i am not a designer :-)

By the way: Does anybody know a good icon/button designer who can make
really cool buttons
and other GUI elements for vStudio? If yes please drop me a note.

Well - as you can see i have renamed the leftmost column to "Data
Sources" - because this matches the contents
much better then the former "Connections" or "Hosts".

I have removed the buttons at the bottom and replaced them simply with
little "+" and "-" signs - the actions for this buttons are:

1) Data Sources
"+" means "open new Data Source"
"-" means "close the current selected Data Source"

2) Databases
"+" means "open Database"
"-" means "close current selected database"

3) Tables
"+" means "create table"
"-" means "delete table"

4) Fields
"+" means "create field"
"-" minus means "delete field"

Well - in the last column we have a problem with this approach: How
should we create a Method?
Any ideas/wishes?

Ok - back to the top:
The left button titled "Data" is for browsing data in the database
without using any SQL
The next button brings up the SQL Editor.
Then comes the new "i" button: This brings up the "Information" window
- in fact this is the current "property Inspector"
Well - the current Property Inspector is a floating palette which
changes it's value each time you click on an object in the
Schema Browser. I think about changing this behaviour - what do you
think about the next:
- The Property Inspector will be renamed to "Information"
- It will be a normal window - no palette any more
- It shows the information to a selected object and is "bound" to this
object - so it doesn't change if you click on a different object
- You can open unlimited numbers of Information windows - this would
enable us to compare the info for two or more objects
- Well the downside is that you must always click on "i" (or use the
context menu" to open a new info window
What do you think about this?

Next i have placed a button for bringing up the preferences dialog.