[Valentina-studio] Re: [VStudio] field flags

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sun Jul 27 16:48:44 CDT 2003

on 7/27/03 16:36, Jochen Peters at j.peters at valentina-db.de wrote:

Hi Jochen

>>> Yes - we need this. It must be possible to fully control the server
>>> remotly - because in most cases
>>> the server will be far away...
>>
>>> I think vStudio must get the "list of folders" from VServer - we must
>>> have an API for this.
>>
>> We have discuss this with Igor,
>> And we think you need to use FEATURE of OS.
>>
>> You simply must show standard "Open dialog" connected to remote
>> compute. If
>> user have rights he will see folders of remote computer as we see this
>> in OS
>> usually.

> NO!!! This is simply not possible! This would mean that you need file-sharing
> access to the server - and that is not normally the case!! For example this is
> impossible if the server is hosted on a big UNIX machine at an ISP. You will
> never get the right to browse through it's directory structure!!!

Jochen, but do not forget, that operation "REGISTER DB", can execute ONLY
AND ONLY administrator of Vserver.

In 99% cases he will do this operation directly on server.
In fact I cannot image situation:
    -- on server somehow we get not registered db
    -- administrator is not at home
    -- and he now want register db.

I think if db come to server, this means that admin have out it there..

Well, may be here no such problems.
Admin always can connect to own server by telnet.
He can put here remotely db files by FTP,
Then he can write down FULL path of this db file on his computer,
And give to Vstudio info { pait, full path}

So task is easy :-)
You need simply dialog with 2 edit fields:

        db name:                account
        full path on server:    /home/rz/...

What you think about this way?  :-)

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com